Things To Know - Tips from MDB Students
As an incoming MDB PhD Student I wish I would have known...
- Persistence is the most important quality a PhD student needs. Experiments fail, A LOT!
- Start looking for housing as soon as you have been accepted. Good and affordable housing is difficult to find.
- Public transportation in Cincinnati is limited, having a car is the best way to enjoy Cincinnati.
Advice for 1st year classes.
- Passing your classes should be your number one priority.
- Make sure to have an outlet. Classes can be stressful.
- Intro to DB: You NEED the book for this course. Purchase or borrow from the library or an upper classman. Older editions are OK to use too.
- Molecular Biology: Don’t fall behind! Make sure to follow the lecture materials. They will be your best friend.
- Advanced DB: Don’t procrastinate, it will get you in serious trouble. Start thinking of topics the first day of class.
- Gene Regulation: Read and understand ALL of the literature assigned. You will be happy you did on exam day.
Where to live in Cincinnati.
- Clifton/Ludlow: Gaslight District (Cincinnati Children's shuttle access)
- Hyde Park and Oakley area (need transportation)
- One popular apartment complex is the Madison Apartments in Hyde Park.
- Over-the-Rhine (OTR) (need transportation)
- Mt. Lookout (need transportation)
- Mt. Washington (need transportation)
- Pleasant Ridge (need transportation)
Public Transportation is available through the Cincinnati Metro.
Fun Things to Do in Cincinnati.
Food and Bars: Half-price sushi @ Ichiban and Cloud 9, Eli’s BBQ, Arlin’s, Japps, Neons, OTR , Istanbul Café, Green Papaya, Molly Malone’s, Izzy’s, Dushmesh, Roof top @ 21 Museum
Other: Jungle Jim’s, Cincinnati’s Park System, The Banks, Newport on the Levy, Fountain Square, Teller’s of Hyde ParkLearn more about living in Cincinnati.