As an incoming MDB PhD Student I wish I would have known...
- Persistence is the most important quality a PhD student needs. Experiments fail, A LOT!
- Start looking for housing as soon as you have been accepted. Good and affordable housing is difficult to find.
- Public transportation in Cincinnati is limited, having a car is the best way to enjoy Cincinnati.
Advice for 1st year classes.
- Passing your classes should be your number one priority.
- Make sure to have an outlet. Classes can be stressful.
- Intro to DB: You NEED the book for this course. Purchase or borrow from the library or an upper classman. Older editions are OK to use too.
- Molecular Biology: Don’t fall behind! Make sure to follow the lecture materials. They will be your best friend.
- Advanced DB: Don’t procrastinate, it will get you in serious trouble. Start thinking of topics the first day of class.
- Gene Regulation: Read and understand ALL of the literature assigned. You will be happy you did on exam day.
Where to live in Cincinnati.
Public Transportation is available through the Cincinnati Metro.
Fun Things to Do in Cincinnati.
Food and Bars: Half-price sushi @ Ichiban and Cloud 9, Eli’s BBQ, Arlin’s, Japps, Neons, OTR , Istanbul Café, Green Papaya, Molly Malone’s, Izzy’s, Dushmesh, Roof top @ 21 Museum
Other: Jungle Jim’s, Cincinnati’s Park System, The Banks, Newport on the Levy, Fountain Square, Teller’s of Hyde Park
Learn more about living in Cincinnati.