MDB Distinguished Scholar Award
This annual award is given to outstanding applicants who join the MDB Program and successfully complete their qualifying exam. The winner of this award will:
- Hold the title of Distinguished MDB Scholar.
- Receive a $1250 cash award upon joining the MDB Graduate Program
- Receive another $1250 cash award upon successful completion of their qualifying exam and maintaining at least an A- average in all courses
All applicants to the MDB graduate program are eligible to apply for this prestigious award. Characteristics of typical awardees include:
- Undergraduate GPA above 3.5
- Authorship on a publication or public presentation of undergraduate research
Review Process - Applicants for the Distinguished MDB Scholar Award will be reviewed by the Executive & Advisory Committees of the graduate program. Winners of the award will be notified by the Graduate Program Director soon after they receive their offers of admission into the program.
Jeffrey A. Whitsett MDB-MSTP Fellowship
This prestigious fellowship is awarded to one MD PhD student a year. Detailed information and application instructions can be found here.
Akeson Award For Academic Excellence
The Akeson Award for Academic Excellence is awarded to an MDB student who exhibits excellent academic standing and progress toward the PhD degree. This may include, but is not limited to, publications, GPA, presentations at national and international meetings, collaborations with other labs and recommendations of faculty members.
Akeson Travel Award
MDB students who are presenting either a poster or a talk at a national or international meeting are eligible for an Akeson travel award to help defray costs - restricted to one travel award per student per fiscal year.