How an Acapella / Aerobika Works
Vibrations help to loosen and dislodge mucus. Significant positive pressure, or PEP, helps air to get around and behind trapped mucus. PEP also helps to “splint” the airways open. This allows the airflow to move the mucus up to the large airways where it can be huffed or coughed out.
Instructions to Use an Acapella / Aerobika
Have your child:
- Sit up straight in a chair.
- Rest elbows on a table.
- Take slightly deeper breaths than normal for 1-2 minutes.
- Put the mouthpiece lightly in his or her mouth. Make sure there is a tight seal around the mouthpiece.
- Breathe in slowly, taking a larger than normal breath.
- Hold his or her breath for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Breathe out through the device longer and a little faster than normal.
- Repeat this 15 times. Keep the mouthpiece in for all 15 breaths.
- Do 2 to 3 Huff Coughs.
- Cough to get rid of mucus.
Repeat the entire process for 6 cycles or a maximum of 30 minutes.
Cleaning an Acapella / Aerobika
After each use:
- Open the acapella / aerobika
- Allow the acapella / aerobika to air dry on a clean paper towel
- Disassemble and clean with liquid dish soap, followed with a sterile water rinse
- The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation recommends disinfecting your acapella by using an alcohol bath for 5 minutes or placing on top rack of the dishwasher. Aerobikas can be sterilized by boiling for 5 minutes, dishwasher, bottle sterilizer, or alcohol bath for 5 minutes.
- Inspect your acapella / aerobika to ensure proper function.