1. Wash your hands with soap and water.
2. Check the doctor’s orders for the feeding plan and instructions on how to flush the NG tube.
3. Gather the supplies:
Bottle or container to measure formula
30 or 60 ml syringe
Small syringe – 5 ml
4. Check to make sure the NG tube is in the correct place.
5. Give a small amount of water to flush the NG tube to make sure it is open.
- Check doctor’s orders for the amount of water to use.
6. Place your infant on his / her side with the head up or have child sit upright.
7. Remove plunger from the 30 ml or 60 ml syringe.
8. Connect the syringe to the NG tube.
9. Slowly pour the formula into syringe.
10. Let the formula flow in by gravity.
- You may need to put the plunger into the syringe and give a gentle push to get the flow started.
Then remove the plunger and let formula flow in slowly over 10-15 minutes.
Lowering the syringe will slow the flow of formula. And raising the syringe will speed up the flow of formula.
11. When the feeding is finished, flush the tube with water to clear the formula from the tube.
12. Pinch the feeding tube, remove the syringe and close the cover on the end of the feeding tube.
13. Rinse out the syringe with hot water and allow it to air dry.