1. Wash your hands with soap and water.
2. Check the doctor’s orders for the feeding plan and instructions on how to flush the NG tube.
3. Gather the supplies:
- Feeding pump
- Feeding administration set
- IV pole
- Farrell valve system bag (if ordered by your doctor)
- Bottle or container to measure formula
- Small syringe 5 ml
4. Open the feeding administration set and the Farrell bag.
- Use a new feeding administration set and Farrell bag every 24 hours.
5. Connect the bags at the “Y” junction on the Farrell bag tubing.
6. Add the formula to the bag.
- Formula that your mix or prepare can be in the bag for four hours.
- Formula that is already prepared and in a box can be in the bag for eight hours.
7. Prime, or fill, the tubing of the feeding administration set with formula.
8. Close the clamp at the end of the Farrell bag tubing.
9. Put the tubing into the feeding pump.
10. Turn the pump on.
11. Refer to feeding pump instructions for pump programming.
- Set the rate – how fast the feedings are to go in
- Set the dose − how much formula is to be given
12. Check to make sure the NG tube is in the correct place.
13. Give a small amount of water to flush the NG tube to make sure it is open.
- Check doctor’s orders for the amount of water to use.
14. Connect the feeding administration set tubing to the feeding tube.
15. Open the clamp on the tubing.
16. Start the feeding pump.
17. When the feeding is finished, turn off the pump, remove the feeding set and flush the NG tube with water.