The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry and the Division of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center provide the following advice for the oral health of 3-year-olds.
- Your child should have 20 baby teeth.
- Limit sodas, juice and drinks containing caffeine.
- Encourage milk and water for drinking.
- Limit snacking between meals.
- Brush teeth twice a day with a pea-sized amount of toothpaste containing fluoride unless advised otherwise by your dentist.
- Floss every day.
- Examine your child's teeth.
- Have regular dental check-ups.