Description of PEP
The PEP device creates pressure in the lungs and keeps your airways from closing. The air flowing through the PEP device helps move the mucus into the larger airway. A Huff Cough will help move the mucus out of the airways.
Instructions to Use PEP
- Have your child sit up straight with elbows resting on a table.
- Have your child take slightly deeper breaths than normal for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Have him / her take a large, steady breath (just slightly more then a normal breath) through the mask attached to PEP.
- Have your child hold their breath for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Have your child breathe out through the mask into the PEP device to create pressure 10-20 cm H2O. Have him / her breathe out for 4-6 seconds until just beyond a normal breath.
- Repeat 15 times (1 cycle). Keep the mask sealed around your child's mouth and nose throughout the cycle.
- At end of a cycle, remove the mask and perform 2 to 3 Huff Coughs.
- Follow this with 1 (or more) regular cough to clear the mucus from the large airways.
- Have your child rest for 1 to 2 minutes while doing the controlled breathing technique.
Repeat the entire process for 6 cycles or a maximum of 30 minutes.
A mouthpiece can be used with nose clips in place.
Cleaning the PEP Device
After each treatment:
- Store on a clean paper towel to air dry
You should not rinse or disinfect the white tubing or the white / blue pressure manometer cone.
The outside of the manometer can be wiped down, but should not be taken apart or placed in water.
- Clean with mild soap and rinse with sterile water
- Air dry on a clean paper towel