What Is the Purpose of Vocal Cord Injection?
Vocal cord injection helps improve:
- Ability to make sounds or have a voice
- Voice strength and loudness
This surgery is done in the operating room, and children receive general anesthesia. They are completely asleep during the surgery.
- The surgery lasts one to two hours.
- There are different products used to fill the vocal cord. Each product lasts for a certain amount of time. The ENT doctor decides the best product to use based on your child’s health problem.
Preparing for Test
Same-day surgery will call you two days before your child’s procedure to review what you need to do.
After the Test
- Your child will stay in the hospital for one to two days so we can watch them closely.
- We check your child’s level of pain every hour and give them medicines to keep them comfortable.
- Your child will need to rest their voice for one day (no talking or singing). They can resume their normal activities after that time.
- Your child can resume their regular diet after surgery.
- We will check your child’s progress during their Voice Clinic visit.
- Schedule this visit for two to four weeks after surgery.
When to Call the Doctor
Call your doctor if your child has:
- Trouble breathing
- Fever of 102° F or higher