Your care team will discuss discharge plans with you. Feel free to ask questions, such as:
- What goals does your child need to meet to be discharged?
- Can the team predict when you’ll be able to go home?
- What preparations will you need to make?
- We suggest you write down your questions as you think of them.
If your child’s hospital stay is short and uncomplicated, planning for discharge is a simple process. If the hospital stay is longer and more complicated, you may need to make special arrangements. We will help you every step of the way:
- If your child needs medicine at home, you can fill prescriptions in the hospital pharmacy, or we can fax them to your pharmacy before you leave.
- If your child needs special equipment or visits by a homecare nurse, we’ll provide a list of homecare companies approved by your insurance. We’ll work with you and the company you choose to make sure you have the equipment, supplies, medicines and support you need.
- We will provide training to help you feel confident that you can go home safely and that you know how to perform treatments or procedures your child might need at home.