The research interests of the Mitchell Lab are focused on:
- Health disparities
- Sickle cell disease
- Community-based research
- School-based mental health
- Early childhood health and social / emotional functioning
- Program evaluation
- Qualitative research methods
- Using technology in psychological interventions and program evaluation
- Public policy
Monica Mitchell, PhD, has worked on research projects that include:
- A supplement grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) − National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) to examine family variables related to nutritional intake and mealtime behavior problems.
- A grant to examine nutritional status and depression in children with sickle cell disease. This study was part of a five-year K01 career development grant from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) that involves assessing growth, development and behavioral functioning in children with sickle cell disease.