Your child will be scheduled to see one of our specialists depending on what their main complaint is: chest pain, fatigue, shortness of breath, decline in performance or failure of a pre-participation physical.
Before the Visit
Before the visit you may receive a call from one of our clinic coordinators. They will review your child’s medical history to help the doctors in caring for your child. The information will be used to better coordinate care, including possibly ordering testing before the clinic visit.
Day of the Visit
On the day of the visit, the athlete will see the Cardiorespiratory Sports Clinic physician. This visit will be similar to other pediatrician visits your child may have had in the past.
The athlete will complete pre-visit questionnaires about their health and fitness. Then the doctor will ask questions about their symptoms and will perform a physical exam.
As part of the visit, athletes may have certain medical tests to help the doctors better understand the functioning of the heart and lungs. The doctors will review the test results together in preparation for your child’s evaluation.
These tests may include:
- Pulmonary function testing, to assess lung function
- Electrocardiogram, to measure the electrical activity of the heartbeat
- Non-invasive hemoglobin test, to measure the amount of hemoglobin in the blood (does not require a blood sample)
- Body composition analysis, to measure body fat percentage and muscle mass
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing, to help us get a better understanding of your child’s heart and lung function during exercise
- Echocardiogram and/or cardiac MRI, to evaluate the structure of the heart
After the Visit
Following your child’s visit, additional tests may be ordered based on the exam and initial tests. We will then offer final recommendations, including follow-up plans and exercise prescriptions for returning to play.
Return to Play
Depending on their symptoms, your child might be restricted from sports until they have an evaluation. Our clinic will provide return to play recommendations and notes to coaches and teams after we see the patient. We look forward to helping your child get back to what they love to do best.