Experience and Skill Make a Difference
If your baby is born with a congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH), you want the best team possible caring for your child. Our CDH specialists are highly experienced in treating this serious, complex problem. The team is made up of specialists from a variety of disciplines, all expertly trained to evaluate and treat CDH. They have a solid track record of successful outcomes.
- We provide parents with prenatal evaluation, care and counseling. If it is determined that your baby has CDH, we will work with maternal-fetal medicine specialists in our Cincinnati Children's Fetal Care Center to recommend the best location and method of delivery for your baby.
- We direct the medical care of your baby once he is born. The baby will be treated at the Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU), which has the most advanced technology for and knowledge of CDH.
- We offer long-term follow-up for your baby in the Newborn Intensive Care Follow-up Clinic at Cincinnati Children’s.
- We use a family-centered approach to diagnosing and treating your infant. This means that you are kept informed every step of the way and that you are treated as a partner with us in the care of your child.
- Our nationally-recognized specialists provide online second opinions to help families better understand a diagnosis and make informed care decisions. The process is convenient, easy and secure.
Our multidisciplinary CDH team includes specialists in:
- Newborn intensive care
- Maternal fetal medicine
- Pediatric and fetal surgery
- Speech, occupational, respiratory and physical therapy
In addition to overseeing the medical care of your baby, we participate in the international diaphragmatic hernia registry, which allows us to continually evaluate and adopt new methods of treatment for the best possible outcomes. We also participate in clinical studies of the latest treatments for CDH.