About Cystic Fibrosis
Cystic fibrosis is a lifelong disease that affects the lungs and digestive system. About 30,000 children and adults in the United States have CF (70,000 worldwide). This disease is caused by a defective gene that makes the body produce very thick, sticky mucus. This mucus:
- Clogs the lungs and leads to lung infections
- Blocks the pancreas and prevents the normal breakdown and use of food by the body
Read more about cystic fibrosis.
My Baby Had a Positive Newborn Screening
Read our newborn screening health topic to learn about next steps and what to expect after a positive newborn screening for cystic fibrosis.
More about Cystic Fibrosis in Our Health Library
- Vest – Minnesota protocol
- Vest – Standard protocol
- Bubble PEP (Positive Expiratory Pressure)
- Chest Physiotherapy Treatment (CPT)
- Chest Physiotherapy (CPT) for Infants
- Acapella and Aerobika