Comprehensive Care That Helps Children with Epilepsy Thrive
The Comprehensive Epilepsy Center helps children with seizures enjoy the best quality of life possible. This means treating their seizures, minimizing medication side effects, addressing emotional and developmental concerns, and helping families better understand their child’s condition. If your child is experiencing seizures, our multidisciplinary team will be with you every step of the way.
As part of the top pediatric hospital in the U.S., our experienced team includes pediatric neurologists specializing in epilepsy, clinical psychologists, nurse practitioners, nurses, genetic counselors, social workers, a clinical pharmacist and dieticians. These dedicated individuals work together to create each child’s treatment plan and provide comprehensive, personalized care.
Why Choose Us
We are accredited as a Level 4 epilepsy center by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers. It’s a distinction held only by hospitals qualified to treat the most complex seizure disorders. As one of the largest pediatric epilepsy centers in the U.S., thousands of children and adolescents rely on our team each year. We offer them:
- Comprehensive Treatment Options: From medication management and epilepsy surgery to the ketogenic and modified Atkins diets, our team will help your family understand the treatment options and what might work work best for your child.
- Extensive Surgical Expertise: Since starting our epilepsy surgery program in 2007, we’ve treated more than 2,500 surgical patients. Our pediatric neurosurgeons have safely and successfully operated on many children who were told elsewhere that they weren’t candidates for surgery.
- Advanced Technologies: We invest in state-of-the-art technology to discover the underlying cause of seizures and surgically treat even the most complex cases. Cincinnati Children’s is one of the only pediatric hospitals in the country with a magnetoencephalography (MEG) unit on the epilepsy inpatient floor. This means easy access to this technology, which provides detailed brain mapping and surgical planning, accurate to the millimeter level. We also helped pioneer the use of transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) in children with seizures. This non-invasive technology helps the epilepsy team identify areas of the brain associated with movement and avoid critical areas of the brain during surgery.
- Focus on Quality of Life: Our team looks at how epilepsy affects every area of your child’s life and provides holistic treatment strategies. We work with referring physicians, other providers and schools to ensure your child receives the support they need.
- Family-Centered Approach: We recognize that family members are an essential part of each child’s care team and include them in all care decisions.
- Cutting-Edge Research: Our physicians participate in clinical research to better understand epilepsy and find more effective treatment options. This gives patients access to promising therapies that are not widely available. Many of our basic and clinical studies are sponsored by the National Institutes of Health. These studies explore multiple approaches to transform epilepsy care, including personalized medicine strategies, gene therapy and brain network modification.