We provide high-quality molecular genetics testing and sophisticated test interpretation for patients with sensorineural hearing loss. Our services assist otologists by providing insight into the etiology of hearing impairment in children, which may lead to better patient care.
Our testing services can offer many benefits for patients and physicians:
- Accurate determination of the etiology of the patient’s hearing loss
- Reduction or elimination of the need for further invasive and costly diagnostic tests
- Basis for prognostic information about future hearing and potential medical complications
- Guidance regarding treatment and long-term medical management, particularly for young infants
- Definitive information on which to base family genetic counseling
Helping you Fit the Pieces Together
Comprehensive, coordinated testing.
Cincinnati Children’s offers a wide selection of genetic tests for patients with sensorineural hearing loss. Our diagnostic tests are easy to order, results are timely and clinically relevant, and we offer both institutional and third-party billing.
Customized test results.
We customize test results for each patient. We incorporate clinical information with the genetic test result into a comprehensive report. The report explains the clinical significance of test results and provides recommendations for additional testing, if warranted, as well as for clinical management.
Consultation with recognized clinical experts.
Our team includes board-certified pediatric otolaryngologists, molecular geneticists and genetic counselors. These experts provide telephone or email consultations to referring physicians regarding test selection, clinical interpretation, medical management and follow-up testing, genetic counseling and additional studies of at-risk family members.