Innovative Liver Tumor Treatment
Each patient in our Liver Tumor Program at Cincinnati Children’s undergoes an extensive evaluation during which multiple specialists meet to discuss the patient’s medical needs. The team shares perspectives from the most up-to-date research and clinical practice to develop an individualized treatment plan. These specialists continue to collaborate throughout the patient’s course of treatment and provide referring physicians with regular updates.
Our program offers a broad range of therapies, including some innovative approaches not available at other children’s hospitals. We lead the development of novel agent and interventional therapies, such as ICG, indocyanine green tumor localization for resection of metastases. Some of the many treatment options we offer include:
- Conventional surgery to resect tumors
- Liver transplantation
- New biologic therapies, some of which are designed to help the immune system fight cancer
- Targeted drug therapies
- Experimental therapeutics offered through clinical trials, both national and institutional
- Radiation therapy, including hepatic arterial delivery of yttrium-90 (Y90)
- Radiofrequency and cryo ablation, image-guided techniques that heat, or freeze, and destroy cancer cells.
- Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization, a procedure that delivers chemotherapy drugs directly to the tumor through blood vessels, sparing healthy tissue