The Multiple Sclerosis and Neuroimmunology Center takes a holistic approach to care, focusing on every aspect of your child’s health. Our first priority is to treat the inflammation that is affecting your child and their overall development. Once your child’s condition stabilizes, we will focus on recovery and long-term care management to ensure the best quality of life possible.
Our team is dedicated to helping you understand your child’s symptoms, diagnosis and treatment plan. Whenever questions arise, we will be there to provide answers and guidance. As your child’s needs change over time, we will anticipate what steps to take to ensure they reach their fullest potential in every aspect of their health — physical, behavioral and emotional.
Sophisticated Diagnostic Testing
Diagnosing a neuroinflammatory disorder requires advanced expertise, sophisticated testing and a team approach. Our diagnostic services include:
- Laboratory Tests: Cincinnati Children’s is one of the few pediatric hospitals in the country that offers comprehensive lab testing for children, adolescents and young adults with neuroinflammatory diseases. These test results typically are available in days, not weeks or months, allowing treatment to begin that much sooner.
- Genetic Testing: If the team suspects that an underlying genetic condition is causing your child’s symptoms, they may order a gene panel to learn more. The Genetics and Genomics Diagnostic Laboratory
at Cincinnati Children’s offers a panel that can detect 72 different genes associated with neuroinflammatory diseases. Our genetic laboratories comply with Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) regulations, which means they can provide complex genetic analysis.
- Medical Imaging: Our neuroradiologists have special training, experience and advanced technology to identify subtle clues on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) that help them diagnose neuroinflammatory diseases.
The team will recommend a combination of therapies to treat your child’s condition and improve their quality of life with the fewest side effects possible. As your child’s needs change over time, the team will update the treatment plan. We are always available to answer your questions and connect you with the resources you need.
Personalized Treatment Recommendations for Your Child
Treatment for neuroinflammatory diseases is never “one size fits all.” Our team will provide a unified treatment plan that may include one or more of the following:
- Infusion Therapy: Infusion therapy which includes anti-inflammatories and immunosuppressive medications. Some of these therapies were developed right here at Cincinnati Children’s through our cutting-edge research programs. Your child can receive this therapy at the Cincinnati Children’s Infusion Center, rather than going to an infusion center that treats adults. The center’s staff specializes in safely delivering infusion therapy to children.
- Medication: Other medication which may include methotrexate, mycophenolate and newer biologic agents.
- Pain Management: Pain management and counseling with a clinical psychologist.
- Visual Therapy: Visual impairment therapy for low vision and cortical vision impairment.
- Rehabilitation Therapy: Rehabilitation therapies such as occupational and physical therapy.
- Behavioral Therapy: Specialized testing and treatment from a behavioral neuropsychologist. These services can help address concerns such as learning difficulties, developmental delays, depression, anxiety and behavioral issues.
- School Services: School intervention services which involves working with your child’s school to implement a plan that supports a successful learning environment for your child.
Your child’s pediatrician is an important member of the care team. We will communicate our diagnosis and details about the treatment plan to your child’s pediatrician to ensure they are aware of the care your child is receiving from us.
Our experience in treating children with neuroinflammatory disease translates well to the care of older patients. That’s why our clinic welcomes teens and young adults, who can benefit from the immunotherapy and care management services we offer at Cincinnati Children’s.