Pediatric Neurosurgery Second Opinions
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution with neurologic conditions – especially for children, whose brains and bodies are still growing and changing. If you or your child potentially needs neurosurgery, you should make sure you’re aware of all your treatment options.
Our expert, pediatric neurosurgeons offer second opinions for many conditions, including:
- Chiari malformations
- Cerebral palsy
- Cerebrovascular conditions that involve blood vessel lesions such as:
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Arteriovenous fistula
- Vein of Galen malformation
- Arterial dissection
- Intractable epilepsy
- and many other conditions
Our physicians also provide second opinions for a variety of surgeries including:
- Baclofen pump implantation
- Cerebrovascular surgeries
- Decompression surgery for Chiari malformations
- Epilepsy surgeries
- Selective dorsal rhizotomy (SDR)
- Skull base surgeries
- and many other treatment options
No matter what brings you to Cincinnati Children’s, our goal is to help you or your child live as fully and actively as possible.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Pediatric Neurosurgery Second Opinion?
Some families ask us for a second opinion because they want our advice on treatments another provider has recommended. Second opinions help you make informed decisions and are a common process for many families. For example, we can help you:
- Confirm a new diagnosis
- Discuss your child’s current treatment plan
- Understand whether surgery or a specific treatment is the best option
- Know if a nonsurgical treatment may be just as safe and effective
- Learn about the potential risks and benefits of treatment or surgery as well as recovery times and possible side effects
How Do I Start the Process of Getting a Pediatric Neurosurgery Second Opinion?
There are several ways you can request a second opinion with one of our pediatric neurosurgeons:
- Fill out our online form. In the “Requesting” field, choose “Requesting A Second Opinion” from the drop-down menu.
- Call 513-636-4726 to schedule an appointment. If you call after hours, leave a message and we’ll return your call as soon as possible.
- Request an online second opinion to have a physician review your case and answer specific questions without ever leaving home.
- Ask your primary care doctor for a referral. They can reach out to us to start the second opinion process on your behalf.
How Should I Prepare?
We’ll need the following items related to the medical condition:
- Medical records
- X-rays or other imaging procedures
- Test results
You can ask your referring provider to send these materials to us, or we can contact them for you.
You should also bring your current medications and insurance card, as well as any custody paperwork and power of attorney documents (if applicable).
Can I Get A Second Opinion Without Traveling to Cincinnati?
Yes. Online second opinions are available to families and patients outside the Greater Cincinnati area (southwestern Ohio, northern Kentucky and southeast Indiana). A specialist from the team will review your case and answer specific questions about a diagnosis or treatment options. It’s easy, convenient, and secure. Our online second opinion case manager will collect your medical records and guide you through the process.
Online second opinions are different than telehealth video visits. Our physician reviews your existing medical records and focuses on the questions you already gave us. As a result, online second opinions don’t need a video or phone call. Your second opinion report includes our physician’s written opinion about that medical condition, diagnosis or treatment plan.
Online second opinions are typically not covered by insurance and cost $850. There may be additional fees if a radiology or pathology specialist needs to review your records. The program is not available in all areas or for every patient, we will work with you to make sure it’s appropriate for you. Request an online second opinion.