Experts in Treating Pediatric Cerebrovascular Disease
The Cerebrovascular Disease Center provides expert care for children with conditions affecting the blood vessels in and around the brain and spine. Our experienced team specializes in advanced diagnostic testing, minimally invasive surgeries and imaging techniques that can help give your child the best possible outcome.
We care for more than 200 children and adolescents each year and is part of the #3 pediatric hospital in the U.S. Several national organizations also recognize Cincinnati Children’s as a Center of Excellence for cerebrovascular care, including the Angioma Alliance, the Sturge-Weber Foundation and Cure HHT.
Why Choose Us
- Integrated, Team-Based Care: We provide one-stop care for children in our clinic. Patients − even those who need care from multiple specialists − do not get “bounced around” before, during or after treatment. Every specialist collaborates, from the earliest stages of diagnosis through treatment, and provides the best possible care.
- Pediatric Surgery Expertise: Sudhakar Vadivelu, DO, is fellowship-trained as a pediatric endovascular neurosurgeon, specializing in both open and endovascular cerebrovascular surgery. He performs complex surgeries that typically are not offered in other pediatric hospitals, such as direct revascularization for Moyamoya disease.
- Specialized Treatment Options: Our experienced team offers comprehensive medical management and innovative therapies such as deep brain stimulation, direct arterial bypass, indirect revascularization and other endovascular and minimally invasive surgery procedures.
- Innovative Imaging That Delivers Less Radiation: Angiography is an imaging technique that allows the surgeon to visualize a vascular lesion before and during surgery. Very few children’s hospitals in the United States offer angiography during surgery. The biplane angiography technology we use helps reduce the need for contrast agents and lowers radiation exposure by more than 30 percent. In addition, our neuroradiology, neurosurgery, neurology and critical care teams are working together to expand the center’s use of neurovascular ultrasound. This technology doesn’t use any radiation.
- Second Opinion Service: A second opinion from our team can reassure families that their child is receiving the best possible care − or offer insights about other treatment options available at Cincinnati Children’s.