Expert, Compassionate Care for Retinoblastoma
Cincinnati Children’s is a national leader in providing care for retinoblastoma.
Our Retinoblastoma Program within our Cancer and Blood Diseases Institute brings together a team of experts with one goal: Treat your child’s cancer and enhance their quality of life. With specialists in different areas, including cancer, ophthalmology, neuro-interventional radiology and neurosurgery, we provide exceptional care to heal your child using innovative technology and breakthrough therapies.
Our team has extensive experience in all types of newly diagnosed or advanced retinoblastoma, which includes:
- Unilateral intra-ocular retinoblastoma (tumors in one eye)
- Bilateral intra-ocular retinoblastoma (tumors in both eyes)
- Extra-ocular retinoblastoma (tumors that spread beyond the eye)
- Recurrent / refractory intra-ocular retinoblastoma (tumors that are resistant to treatment)
We offer extensive treatment options to treat your child’s cancer effectively with as few side effects as possible. Our team, led by eye and cancer specialists from both Cincinnati Children’s and the University of Cincinnati, includes experts in:
- Interventional neuroradiology (minimally invasive option to surgery which uses image guidance to provide diagnosis and targeted treatment)
- Neurodevelopmental medicine (for development and behavioral concerns)
- Ocular prosthetics (implants)
- Pediatric ophthalmology
- Radiation therapy
Your child’s care starts with a thorough evaluation at our clinic. By bringing together experts in different areas, clinic visits are more convenient and efficient for families, and care is better coordinated.
Our team develops a plan with treatment recommendations. We update referring physicians, so everyone is on the same page throughout your child’s care.
About half of all children diagnosed with retinoblastoma develop it in both eyes. This type of tumor is usually caused by genetic mutation. In these situations, a genetic counselor will meet with you to talk about the risks and benefits of genetic testing so you understand your child’s condition and prognosis, as well as possible risks to other family members.
Our nurses play a pivotal role on our team by providing compassionate care and answering questions throughout every step of your child’s journey to healing.
Cincinnati Children’s is known for nursing excellence, recognized with the elite Magnet status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center which only 8% of hospitals achieve.