Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center offers diverse experiences for Nurse Practitioner students to gain skills essential to advanced nursing practice.
To be eligible for clinical placement at Cincinnati Children's, you must have an active Ohio RN license and be attending an affiliated program:
- Case Western Reserve University
- East Carolina University
- Eastern Kentucky University: Psychiatry Program only
- George Washington University
- Indiana Wesleyan University
- Indiana University- Purdue University at Indianapolis: Psychiatry Program only
- Northern Kentucky University
- Ohio State University
- Ohio University
- Otterbein University
- Rush University
- St. Louis University
- University of Alabama – Birmingham
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Kentucky
- University of Louisville
- University of South Alabama
- Vanderbilt University
- Wright State University
- Xavier University
Applications are revised each semester with updated placement availability and are accepted on a semester by semester basis. Please complete the application for the appropriate semester as applications cannot be accepted early, nor can requests be made for more than one semester at a time. Please see the timeline below and check back for the linked application at the appropriate time. If this timeline differs from dates requested by your program, please contact your program to discuss.
Submission of an application cannot be considered a guarantee of placement; requests for practicum experiences exceed the available placements. Pediatric primary care clinical placements are not routinely available; the majority of placements are in pediatric subspecialties. Available hours for placements may not fulfill total hours requested. Therefore, you may also wish to pursue clinical placement in the community to meet your course requirements.
To be eligible for consideration, applications must be completed in their entirety and returned by the deadline. Should you be selected for a clinical practicum at Cincinnati Children’s, you will also need to respond accepting the placement by the deadline listed in your correspondence.
To complete the application, you may find it helpful to be prepared with the following information:
- Past Practicum Experiences: (name of preceptor, location, dates, number of hours)
- Licensure(s): (State, License #, Expiration Date)
- CPR card: agency and expiration date
- Contact information for the clinical faculty/professor and site coordinator from your school
- Name and contact info for a clinical reference who can speak to your clinical expertise
- Two learning goals for this requested practicum experience (a sentence or two)
- One career goal (a sentence or two)
The increased numbers of students enrolled in APRN programs regionally has necessitated procedures to assist as many students as possible to have a clinical practicum placement, complete their program of study and recognize current Cincinnati Children’s employment. Please consider the following:
- Cincinnati Children's staff will receive priority placement over non-Cincinnati Children's students
- Cincinnati Children's students planning to graduate at the conclusion of the current application semester will be given priority
- As pertinent to the program of study, additional consideration may be provided for Cincinnati Children's students who have not yet completed a Cincinnati Children's placement
Applications will be considered complete when both of the following are received:
1. Completed Survey Monkey Application
2. Resume / CV sent with your name in the subject line to
You will receive a confirmation email after both elements of your application are submitted.
You may also use this application if you are applying for a Psychiatric Clinical Practicum as a Nurse Practitioner or Clinical Nurse Specialist.
Applications for future semesters are usually posted in May for Fall Semesters, October for Spring Semesters, and January/February for Summer Semesters.
Tentative Timeline for Applications for Spring 2020 (dates are subject to change without notice)
- Week of October 7th: Application posted to website and open to students
- October 20th: Applications due (late applications not accepted)
- November 18th - 25th: Email notification to students
- December 3rd: Accept / Decline email from students due
Application and Available Placements:
- Spring 2020 application - Coming soon
- Download the Available Clinical Placements for Spring 2020 - Coming soon
If any questions remain after reviewing this information, please contact NPStudents@cchmc.org