In addition to the below information, applicants must follow Guidelines from the Association of Child Life Professionals for all academic and experiential requirements for applying to a child life internship.
Required readings: (These readings are to be completed prior to applying for the internship.)
- Bolig, Rosemary., Mahan, Carmel., Rollins, Judy. (2017). Meeting Children's Psychosocial Needs Across the Health-Care Continuum (2nd ed.), Pro-ed, Austin, TX
- Thompson, Richard. (2018). The Handbook of Child Life, A Guide for Pediatric Psychosocial Care (2nd ed.), Charles C. Thomas, Publisher. Springfield, IL
Academic Affiliation is NOT Required:
- If affiliated with an academic institution: A signed contract of agreement for internship participation with your college / university is required and is initiated and completed by Cincinnati Children's upon acceptance to the internship.
- If unaffiliated with an academic institution: Intern is required to purchase and show proof of Professional Liability Insurance and complete a ten-panel drug screen.
Required Health Forms: (All interns accepted into the program must turn in required health forms a month prior to first day of internship in order to participate in the program.)
- Documentation of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Documentation of valid CPR certification by the American Heart Association.
- Documentation record of a negative two-step tuberculin skin test
- Documentation record showing immunity to rubella (either a positive rubella titer or a rubella vaccination).
- Documentation record showing immunity to rubeola (measles). Proof of immunity can be shown by having a birth date prior to 1950, a rubeola vaccination after 1980, or with documentation of a physician stating the student has had rubeola.
- Documentation record showing immunity to mumps (documentation from a physician stating the student had either mumps or a mumps vaccination).
- Documentation record showing immunity to Hepatitis B or having started the series of three doses of Hepatitis B Vaccine (Recombivax HB or Engerix - B).
- Documentation record of receiving these vaccines:
- Flu shot (Most current vaccine available in past 12 months)
- Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) Adult booster must have been received no earlier than 2005.
- Any intern or practicum student who participates without University affiliation is required to provide a ten-panel drug screen dated no earlier than 30 days before start of program.