Medical Music Therapy Internship
Interns in the medical music therapy internship work at our Burnet Campus. They provide services to patients and their families across all inpatient medical units.
For a more detailed description of the internship, please view our Medical Music Therapy Internship Fact Sheet.
What Makes Our Internship Unique?
Cincinnati Children’s was recently ranked as the #1 pediatric medical center in the country by U.S. News and World Report. Interns will have the opportunity to work with members of nationally recognized medical teams throughout their internship.
All members of the medical music therapy team are masters-level clinicians who have gone on to receive the following advanced certifications and trainings:
- Neurologic Music Therapy
- Music Therapy Assessment Tool for Awareness in Disorders of Consciousness (MATADOC)
- Newborn Individualized Care and Assessment Program (NIDCAP)
- First Sounds: Rhythm Breath, Lullaby
- Time Together
Music therapy interns are part of a robust treatment team which includes physicians, nurses, occupational and physical therapists, speech language pathologists, psychologists, social workers, and chaplains. As part of the Division of Child Life and Integrative Care, interns will regularly interact with child life specialists, integrative care RNs / LMTs, therapeutic recreation specialists, and our art therapist. The Burnet Campus also houses the hospital’s Seacrest Studio, and interns will have the opportunity to regularly collaborate with the studio’s creative strategists.
Interns also have access to an array of educational experiences, including attending interdisciplinary treatment team meetings and psychosocial rounds, observing and co-treating with other disciplines, Hospital Grand Rounds, and Schwartz Center Rounds.
Requirements for Interns
The requirements in this section are listed for reference. They are not part of the application process and will only be required if a student is selected for the internship.
- A legal affiliation agreement between the intern’s university and Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. This will be handled by personnel at the hospital and the legal department of the university. Interns will not be allowed to start their internship until this agreement is complete. Please note: Depending upon university policies, a drug screen may be part of the affiliation process.
- Liability Insurance (if not provided by intern’s university)
- TB testing
- Hospital-mandated vaccinations, including COVID and Flu
- Fingerprinting / background check
- Official transcripts (if applicant opts to submit unofficial transcripts during the application process)
Our next available start date is Summer / Early Fall 2024. Applications for this start date are due December 1, 2023.
Please return completed applications to internship directors Anthony Borzi and Brittany Knapp at: