The purpose of the annual Symposium is to stimulate outstanding high school science students' interest in pursuing biomedical careers by allowing them to meet and learn first-hand about the work of doctors, scientists and allied health professionals who are finding new treatments and cures for childhood diseases and improving the outcomes for children today. Due to COVID-19, the High School Science Student Symposium will be held virtually this year. Students can learn about careers in the allied health sciences and biomedical research through 20 pre-recorded presentations by professionals working in various healthcare and research careers at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. On February 24th students can sign up and choose between two concurrent presentations from 4:30- 5:00pm via Zoom and then visit breakout rooms to meet with up to three different healthcare and research professionals for informal discussions and to get their career questions answered. Our goal is that participants will leave with a greater interest in pursuing a career in health care or research.
All Cincinnati Tri-State Area High School juniors and seniors who are interested in careers in healthcare and biomedical research are invited to participate. The invitation letter sent to Cincinnati area high school science teachers is attached.
Online pre-registration is required. We will have space for 200 students on February 24th, so early registration is encouraged. Registration will be closed when we reach capacity. Each student must individually register and choose three careers to discuss.
The Annual High School Science Student Symposium will be held on Wednesday, February 24th. Click here for a Program Flyer and Schedule.
Access to Pre-Recorded Career Presentations
Everyone is invited to view the recordings about the following career paths. All presentations are included on this playlist.
Students planning to attend the Zoom event on February 24th should view these recordings as they consider which experts they would like to talk to at the event.
- Doctor/Pediatrician - Ndidi Unaka, MD & Emmanuel Chandler, MD
- Nursing Careers - Chima John, BSN, RN
- Genetic Counseling - Kathleen Collins Ruff, MS CGC
- Speech and Language Pathology - Dawn Girten, MA CCC-SLP
- Audiology- Sara Kallini, AuD
- Respiratory Therapy - Andrea Vetter BS RRT
- Occupational & Physical Therapy - Kelli Hobart, ORT/L, Niles Keller, PT, DPT, & Yvette Sickles, MPT
- MD/PhD Student Immunology Research - Corinne Foley, BS
- Athletic Training - Kelly Dixon, ATC
- Pharmacy - Laura Belles, PharmD
- Social Work - LaDonna Morales, MSW, LISW
- Biomedical Engineering/3D Printing - Matthew Batie, BMET
- Radiology Technology - Lindsey Hekler, MEd, RDMS, RDCS
- Dietitian/Metabolic Kitchen - Suzanne Summer, MS, RD
- Psychologist/Mental Health - Rebekah Ridgeway, PsyD, Anne Kalomiris PhD & Teresa Smith, PhD
- Pathology/Clinical Lab careers/clinical sample analysis - Jennifer Picarsic, MD
- Clinical Research Professionals - Andrea Meisman, MS, LPC, CCRP
- Neuroscience Research - PhD Students - Paige Greenwood, BS & Jennifer Patritti Cram, BS
- Heart Development Research with Zebrafish - Joshua Wasman, PhD
- Cancer Cell Research - Timothy Chlon, PhD
Registration for the February 24th HSSS
The HSSS event will be held using Zoom starting at 4:30pm. Participants will choose between the following concurrent presentations (please indicate which presentation you want to attend by adding 1 or 2 to your name as you enter the event):
- Preparing to apply for Medical School, Abigail Tissot, PhD
- Biomedical Research and Outreach opportunities for high school and college students at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cindy Bachurski, PhD
Please provide your name and email address, then rank up to three specialists you would like to talk to on February 24th from 5-6pm. A link to the Zoom meeting will be emailed to you. This invitation will be specific to you so do not share it with anyone else.
Students attending the event, PLEASE Rank your three to four top choices (these opportunities are for students only):
- Genetic Counselor
- Speech and Language Pathologist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Athletic Trainer
- Social Worker
- Biomedical Engineer
- Radiology Technologist
- Dietitian/Nutrition researcher
- Psychologist/Mental Health
- Pathologist/ Clinical Lab
- Clinical Research Professional
- Neuroscience Graduate Student
- Developmental Biology Researcher- Zebrafish heart research
- Cancer Researcher
Science Teachers attending the event, PLEASE do not sign up for breakout rooms. You must register for the event. Then email Dr. Bachurski at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that you will be attending Dr. Zacharias’ presentation and whether you are in need of a used dissecting microscope or other laboratory equipment.