We anticipate receiving more applications than available positions, so there is a formal application process. Students applying must first complete a Letter of Intent. The Letter of Intent requires basic student background information, a personal statement and your current resume. You will not need to designate a mentor for the Letter of Intent.
Selected students will then be invited to complete a Project Proposal. Students submitting a Project Proposal must identify one mentor for their summer project. The Project Proposal will include a formal one-page Research Plan, a Mentors Statement and a signed Agreement & Conditions of Funding.
Due Dates and Notifications
- The Letter of Intent is due by 8:00 am, Tuesday, January 16, 2018
- Decisions for invitations to submit the Project Proposal will be emailed by Monday, February 5, 2018
- The Project Proposal is due by 8:00 am, Monday, March 5, 2018
- Students will receive notification regarding acceptance into the program by Monday, March 19, 2018
To apply, download and complete the Letter of Intent (instructions below). Then, email your completed application to Marianne Boehner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions for Completing the Letter of Intent
I. Student Information
Complete your current student information which includes dates you are available this summer to participate in the program and your educational background. Information regarding gender, race, disabilities and disadvantaged background are only used for our Training Diversity Report which is compiled and submitted yearly to the National Institutes of Health and will not influence selection criteria.
II. Personal Statement
Include information specifically addressing:
- Why you are interested in participating in the SMURRF program
- The types of research projects you are potentially interested in pursuing and why
- Your current medical career goals or plans
Include a copy of your current resume.
IV. Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation are not required but up to two letters may be included. If submitting, letters should be addressed to The SMURRF Selection Committee and sent separately to Marianne Boehner at email@example.com.