1. Check the equipment:
- Is the tank turned on?
- Do the gauges show there is enough oxygen in the tank?
- Is the flow rate correct?
- Is the tubing kinked?
- Is the tubing connected?
- Is the nasal cannula clogged with mucus?
If the nasal cannula is clogged with mucus:
- Place the nasal cannula in a glass of water and look for bubbles.
- If you do not see any bubbles, change the tubing or clean it with a damp cloth. (Do not use baby wipes.)
2. If the equipment is okay, increase the oxygen flow rate by ¼ liter until the baby is breathing easier. Then call your doctor.
3. If breathing problems continue and your baby is a gray or blue color, CALL 911.