How to Use MDI with AeroChamber and Mask
This type of spacer is for the child who is too young to always be able to breathe in through his / her mouth at the right time. Usually this is someone 5 years of age or under or who is unable to use a mouthpiece for another reason.
1. Check the expiration date on the device before using it. Discard it if it has expired and get a new prescription.
2. Remove the plastic protective cap from the MDI.
3. Shake the canister for 5 seconds.
4. Prime the MDI.
- If MDI not used in two weeks or has been dropped, spray one puff into air.
- If MDI was never used before, spray _____ puffs into air according to the manufacture’s recommendations.
5. Insert the canister into the spacer.
6. Have the child breathe out normally.
7. Place the mask on the face, covering the mouth and nose.
8. Check to make sure there is a good seal around the mouth and nose.
9. Press down the top of the canister to release one puff of the medicine.
10. Have the child take six breaths with the mask in place.
11. Repeat steps 6-10 depending on how many puffs are indicated on the prescription.
Cleaning the AeroChamber
- At least once a week, remove the back piece of the AeroChamber only.
- Soak the back piece and chamber for 15 minutes in lukewarm water and liquid detergent.
- Rinse in clean water and allow it to air dry in the upright position.