Pediatric Audiology Second Opinions
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution for hearing loss —especially for children, whose bodies and minds are still growing and changing. If you or your child needs care hearing loss, you should make sure you’re aware of all your treatment options.
Our expert, pediatric audiologists offer second opinions for many conditions including:
- Auditory Neuropathy
- Auditory Processing Disorders
- Mixed Hearing Loss
- Pediatric tinnitus
- Pediatric vestibular disorders
- Sensorineural Hearing Loss
- Unilateral Hearing Loss
No matter what brings you to Cincinnati Children’s, our goal is to help you or your child live as fully and actively as possible.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Pediatric Audiology Second Opinion?
Some families ask us for a second opinion because they want our advice on treatments another provider has recommended. Second opinions help you make informed decisions and are a common process for many families. For example, we can help you:
- Confirm a new diagnosis
- Discuss your child’s current treatment plan
- Understand whether surgery or a specific treatment is the best option
- Learn about the potential risks and benefits of treatment or surgery as well as recovery times and possible side effects
How Do I Start the Process of Getting a Pediatric Audiology Second Opinion?
There are several ways you can request a second opinion with one of our audiology specialists:
- Call 513-636-4236 to schedule an appointment. If you call after hours, leave a message and we’ll return your call as soon as possible.
- Request an online second opinion to have an audiologist review your case and answer specific questions without ever leaving home.
- Ask your primary care doctor for a referral. They can reach out to us to start the second opinion process on your behalf.
How Should I Prepare?
We’ll need the following items related to the medical condition:
- Medical records
- X-rays or other imaging procedures
- Test results
You can ask your referring provider to send these materials to us, or we can contact them for you.
You should also bring your current medications and insurance card, as well as any custody paperwork and power of attorney documents (if applicable).
Can I Get A Second Opinion Without Traveling to Cincinnati?
Yes. Online second opinions are available to families and patients outside the Greater Cincinnati area (southwestern Ohio, northern Kentucky and southeast Indiana). A specialist from the team will review your case and answer specific questions about a diagnosis or treatment options. It’s easy, convenient, and secure. Our online second opinion case manager will collect your medical records and guide you through the process.
Online second opinions are typically not covered by insurance and cost $850. There may be additional fees if a radiology or pathology specialist needs to review your records. The program is not available in all areas or for every patient, we will work with you to make sure it’s appropriate for you. Request an online second opinion.