Should You Consider a Cancer Risk Assessment?
A cancer risk assessment could provide you with more information about your cancer risk, and can guide you to appropriate management of those risks. To determine if a cancer risk assessment is right for you, we have developed the following guidelines:
You might be at an increased risk for cancer if you or your family has a history of:
- Cancer diagnosed under 50 years of age
- More than one cancer in the same person
- Three or more relatives with the same type of cancer
- Male breast cancer
- Rare cancers
- Breast and ovarian cancer in close family members
- Colon cancer and uterine cancer in close family members
- Breast or ovarian cancer and a Jewish background
You will meet with a licensed genetic counselor at your first appointment. A genetic counselor is a health professional with specialized experience in medical genetics and counseling. The following will happen at your appointment:
- You will be asked questions about your medical history and your family’s history of cancer.
- The likelihood of an underlying hereditary cancer syndrome will be discussed.
- You will learn about the benefits and limitations of genetic testing and genetic testing options. This can help you to decide whether testing may be useful for you and your family.
- You may learn about your risk and your family members’ risks for developing cancer in the future.
- The genetic counselor might make recommendations regarding your cancer screening or health care management.
Transportation, Lodging, Directions and Interpreter Services
Families traveling to Cincinnati from more than 35 miles outside of city limits can receive assistance with lodging, transportation, translation and other needs. Contact Guest Services and Interpreter Services for more information, or call toll-free at 1-800-344-2462 from 8:30 am to 5 pm, Eastern Time, Monday through Friday.
Contact Us to Refer a Patient to the Hereditary Cancer Program
To refer a patient to the Hereditary Cancer Program or contact us, call 513-636-4760 and select option 1.