Hospital Medicine Services
We provide comprehensive, coordinated inpatient care for children with general pediatric and complex medical conditions. The service assists community pediatricians and family practice physicians when their patients are hospitalized at Cincinnati Children’s.
We deliver evidenced-based medicine in a family-centered environment. Our hospitalists believe that your child and family are best served by fully involving you in the decision process. You will be included every step of the way as we:
- Conduct rounds in patient rooms
- Have open, honest discussions
- Collaborate with you and your child to make the best decisions about your child’s care
- Comprehensive care for patients with common or complex medical conditions including:
- Necessary diagnostic studies and treatments
- Coordination of care recommendations from subspecialty experts, if needed
- Discharge planning with your PCP to ensure successful transition to home
- Consultation to other medical subspecialty service to assist with general pediatric concerns.
Burnet Campus Service
The Hospital Medicine – Burnet Campus Service is the largest inpatient service at Cincinnati Children’s. We provide comprehensive, coordinated inpatient care for children with general pediatric and complex medical conditions. The service assists community pediatricians and family practice physicians when their patients are hospitalized at the Cincinnati Children’s Burnet Campus.
Our team provides the safest, highest quality care to children and their families. The hospitalist attending leads family-centered rounds and teaches hospital medicine fellows, residents and medical students. Our team may include 10 or more physicians and staff to ensure your child’s well-being. Our hospitalists are national leaders in family-centered rounds, patient safety and improving patient outcomes. We emphasize effective and efficient communication among the entire treatment team, including your primary care physician.
Burnet Campus Admission Process
- Hospital medicine patients may be admitted to the Burnet Campus service from the Cincinnati Children’s Emergency Department, directly from a primary care physician’s office, or from another healthcare facility.
Liberty Campus Service
The Hospital Medicine − Liberty Campus service is staffed by attending hospitalists from the Division of Hospital Medicine. Patients are admitted to the 42-bed Liberty Campus Inpatient Unit. The attending hospitalist is responsible for all of the direct care of your child. Senior pediatric residents and nurse practitioners, who may also be involved in your child’s care, will work directly with you and the attending hospitalist in making all medical decisions. The small size of our team and unit allows for personalized care in a suburban setting north of Cincinnati with easy highway access and parking.
Liberty Campus Admission Process
- Hospital medicine patients may be admitted to the Liberty Campus service from the Liberty Campus Emergency Department, directly from a primary physician’s office or from another healthcare facility.
- If your child requires admission to Cincinnati Children’s and you are interested in the Liberty Campus Inpatient Unit, ask your physician to contact the hospital medicine direct admission attending doctor.
- If your child requires more intensive care or a specialty consultation, he or she may be transferred to our main hospital, depending on your child’s unique needs.
- View the Liberty Inpatient Unit Admission Guidelines and Process for more information.
The Hospital Medicine − Surgical Service provides inpatient care for surgical patients with complex medical conditions. Our service is designed to assist specialty surgical services with the management of medical issues for their patients. Our services include:
- Medical consultation for patients on any surgical service
- Co-management of medically complex patients undergoing surgery, including patients cared for by surgical subspecialists, such as orthopaedics, otolaryngology, urology and neurosurgery
- Medical management of patients with certain conditions such as epidermolysis bullosa
Surgical Service Admission Process
- Hospital Medicine Surgical Service is primarily a consulting / co-management service. Ask your patient’s primary admitting physician if you think your child would benefit from a hospital medicine consult.
Adult Care Service
The Hospital Medicine Adult Care Service provides consultative care for adults with congenital or complex healthcare needs admitted for specialized care at Cincinnati Children's.
Our service is designed to assist subspecialty, surgical and general pediatric services with the management of common adult medical issues for their patients over the age of 18. Services are provided by specialized physicians that are trained and board certified in both pediatrics and internal medicine. These physicians also provide care for pediatric inpatients at Cincinnati Children's and adult inpatients at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. Our services include:
- Medical consultation for adult patients on any subspecialty, surgical, or general pediatric service
- Assistance with transition to adult subspecialty and primary care providers
- Development of evidence-based care protocols for adults at Cincinnati Children's and provision of oversight for adult patients during daily institutional safety huddles
Hospital Medicine Adult Care Service is primarily a consulting / co-management service. Ask your or your family member's primary admitting physician if you think you or your family member would benefit from a Hospital Medicine adult care consult.