Comprehensive Care for Mild, Moderate and Severe PUV
The Posterior Urethral Valves (PUV) Center at Cincinnati Children’s is the first in the world to offer comprehensive, well-coordinated care for children with this rare disorder. We want to empower patients to reach their fullest potential and experience the best quality of life possible.
We tailor your child’s treatment plan to his needs, and make adjustments as those needs change. Our experienced, multidisciplinary team includes pediatric urologists and nurses who are experts in PUV care. They will help your family by:
- Explaining what PUV is and how it may affect your son.
- Providing screenings and tests to identify any medical complications, such as kidney disease.
- Treating problems early, even before symptoms appear. This can protect the bladder and kidney from injury in the future.
- Connecting you with other specialists, such as nutritionists, developmental specialists and pulmonologists, as needs arise.
- Supporting and encouraging your son to follow the treatment plan and care for himself as he matures.
- Offering online second opinions for patients and families inside the United States who live beyond the Greater Cincinnati area (southeast Ohio, southwest Indiana and northern Kentucky).
If an unborn baby has severe PUV, some signs of the condition may show up on a routine prenatal ultrasound. Our pediatric urologists partner with specialists at the Cincinnati Children's Fetal Care Center to offer expert care for PUV and other complex fetal conditions.