Additional Support for Families
The Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center encourages families to take advantage of the following resources.
Sickle Cell Education, Advocacy and Support Resources
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Sickle Cell Information
- American Society of Hematology
- Sickle Cell Disease Association of America
- Ohio Department of Health Regional Sickle Cell Services Program
- Cincinnati Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center Sickle Cell Trait Information
Support at Cincinnati Children’s
- Emotional, psychosocial and spiritual support
- Assistance with schooling concerns
- Information about additional resources (financial, insurance, community)
Guest Services at Cincinnati Children’s helps make a stay in Cincinnati more comfortable and convenient for out-of-town patients and families. The Guest Services team provides assistance with lodging, ground transportation and other concerns.
The Cancer and Blood Diseases Institute at Cincinnati Children’s hosts a week-long summer camp every year at Joy Outdoor Education Center in Clarksville, OH. The staff works closely with the Cincinnati Children’s medical team to create a safe, supportive environment for children, no matter what their abilities. The camp is an opportunity for kids to develop new skills, form lasting friendships and build their self-esteem, all while having a great time. Patients are encouraged to bring a sibling. See details.