At the Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center at Cincinnati Children’s, our team uses sophisticated diagnostic tests and the most effective therapies available. The testing and treatment options we offer include:
- Careful monitoring and early interventions aimed at preventing pain and avoiding complications
- Medication, including hydroxyurea. This new drug can help reduce the frequency of pain episodes and decrease the need for a transfusion.
- Transfusion services, offered in partnership with Hoxworth Blood Center in Cincinnati, one of the nation’s premier blood centers
- Novel transfusion methods and new medications to reduce iron overload and reduce the long-term risks of transfusions
- Transcranial Doppler (a painless ultrasound) to help identify children who are at high risk for stroke. This allows us to take preventive measures.
- High quality, specialty lab tests that are not available everywhere. These tests are conducted at our own state-of-the-art laboratory, rather than at an outside testing facility.
Teen Clinic: Transitioning Patients to the Adult Care Setting
The Teen Clinic helps patients manage their condition as they grow into adulthood and also eases their transition to adult care.
At the Teen Clinic, we introduce patients to topics such as health insurance, how to schedule a doctor’s appointment, how to get a prescription refilled and when to call the doctor.