Cincinnati Children’s Ranked No. 2 Urology Program in U.S.
You want your child to have the best care and a team of specialists who understand both the physical and psychological impact of a urological condition.
At Cincinnati Children’s, our urology team provides this by delivering holistic care for your child and collaborating with other specialists as needed, with open communication amongst all members of the child’s care team and constant learning to improve the care that we provide. We keep an open line of communication with you and your child’s pediatrician because we are committed to your child’s ongoing care and safety, even once you’re back home.
Our urologists are known in the medical community for their extensive and unique knowledge of pediatric urological conditions and their devotion to compassionate patient care. This is why we’ve been ranked the No. 2 urology program in the nation by U.S. News & World Report and why families from all over the country and world seek our advice and expertise.
Care for the Entire Child
Our approach extends beyond your child’s physical health – we believe in the concept of cura personalis 'care of the entire individual'. We listen and learn from you and your child to better understand how we can support your child’s mental well-being and respect your family’s expectations and personal and cultural beliefs.
We provide you with the most up-to-date condition-specific medical information, including a number of online resources that have answers to frequently asked questions and a glossary of commonly-used terms.
Our team will direct you to the appropriate additional educational resources and answer your questions, so you can be an informed and empowered partner in your child’s care.
Our team focuses on ensuring that we provide a superior patient and family experience with an emphasis on safety. We offer the ability to seek care at a variety of clinic locations with evening and Saturday hours. We offered telemedicine visits to patients when clinically appropriate throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Many patients used this option not just for safety reasons but also because it was convenient and easy for their family.
We are committed to improving your child’s medical journey by providing compassionate, convenient and efficient care.
Pushing Boundaries Forward
We are committed to innovation because better therapies and research provide new perspectives on pediatric care. This is what families expect from Cincinnati Children’s. We’re proud of the work and research we do every day to advance the scope of pediatric urological care that we deliver.
- We are one of ten medical centers that have earned the Center of Excellence designation by the Association for the Bladder Exstrophy Community (A-BE-C). Our clinicians have exceptional experience in caring for children born with bladder exstrophy and are committed to sharing that knowledge around the world, including through our clinical care partnership with Civil Hospital in Ahmedabad, India.
- The Posterior Urethral Valves Center opened in 2018 and is the world’s first clinical program that provides multidisciplinary care for children with posterior urethral valves.
- Research is currently underway to better understand diseases that affect the baby’s developing kidneys during pregnancy and how to effectively diagnose, and manage those conditions.
- We offer innovative fertility preservation options for boys preparing to start cancer treatments through our Comprehensive Fertility Care and Preservation Program. Patient involvement has grown 300 percent since the launch of the program.
- The Stone Center, in partnership with our nephrology program, is continuing to improve care for patients:
- Our mini-CT scan study improves the diagnosis of kidney stones and reduces the level of radiation children are exposed to.
- A commitment to education is reducing emergency room visits by children who experience kidney stones – an event that is stressful to children and parents.
- We partner with nephrology and the transplant team to ensure optimal clinical outcomes after a child has undergone a kidney transplant to enable the longest possible functionality of the kidney.
- The Cincinnati Children's Fetal Care Center is one of the most comprehensive programs in the country. Urology is a critical partner in this program involved in the care of fetuses diagnosed with kidney and bladder abnormalities.
- Partnering with the emergency medicine and radiology, we have streamlined the care for boys presenting with testicular torsion, increasing our ability to save the affected testicle.