The following are program components for those accepted into the internship:
- Participation in staff led in-services on topics related to Child Life Competencies.
- Weekly meetings with internship coordinator.
- Weekly written assignments on topics that facilitate translation of theory to clinical practice.
- Formal written case study
- Internship project
- Evidenced Based Practice (EBP) components will be part of both the case study and internship project and include formal EBP appraisal as guided by an EBP mentor.
- Final presentation to Division of Child Life & Integrative Care.
Clinical Practice Components
- Individual therapeutic interventions.
- Daily journal of experiences.
- Clinical skills development focused on the following core competencies:
- Developmental Theories & Application
- Formal Assessment
- Informal Assessment
- Therapeutic Play
- Medical Play
- Group Play
- Patient & Family Centered Care
- Grief & Bereavement
- Psychosocial Care Planning & Implementation
- Facilitation of a Therapeutic Space
Teaching and Preparation
- Rapport Building
- Empathetic Engagement
- Post Event Processing
- Professional Representation
- Professional Collaboration
- Evidenced-Based Practice
- Infection Control
- Resource Allocation
- Volunteer Supervision
- Time Management
- Professional Presentation of Self
- Professional Boundaries
- Conflict Resolution