Biostatistics and Epidemiology Internship
Biostatistics and epidemiology are fundamental scientific components in biomedical, psychosocial / behavioral, and public health research. The Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology (DBE) offers an advanced internship program that is designed to offer aspiring students training opportunities in biostatistics and epidemiology. The hands-on experience will complement and enhance the student's classroom education.
The term “biostatistics” is used in a broad sense. It encompasses:
- Mathematics and computational statistics
- Design and analysis of controlled experiments
- Quasi-experiments, non-experiments and observations
- Big data sciences such as analysis and modeling of omics, geospatial, functional and imaging data
The program was founded in 2007 and 15 students have completed the program as of 2015. Scholarships and Travel Awards are available to intern students on a merit basis.
- Provide educational and research experience in biomedical, psychosocial / behavioral, and public health areas, to students who are studying in degreed programs of biostatistics, epidemiology, and data sciences, as well as other closely related areas.
- Students will gain hands-on experience with statistical consultation, collaboration, and methodology research, related to biomedical, psychosocial / behavioral, and public health research.
- Students are encouraged to conduct their thesis / dissertation research on methodological-related issues that are motivated by real research questions, under joint advice from faculty in DBE and in the student’s current academic program.