Pumping Routine Example
- Feed your baby at the breast before leaving for work.
- Pump at about the same time your baby would be breastfeeding.
- Pump both breasts at the same time for 10-15 minutes.
- Breastfeed your baby when you pick him up after work.
- Breastfeed more often in the evenings and weekends.
Returning to Work
- Remember that the first few days after you return to work may be hard.
- You and your baby need to develop a new routine.
- Give yourself time to adjust as your body and your baby respond to the change.
- You may have a decrease in your milk supply the first week you return due to the schedule change but with regular pumping it will return.
For additional information on this Health Topic, call the Center for Breastfeeding Medicine at 513-636-2326.