Equipment & Facilities
The Center for Simulation and Research at Cincinnati Children’s is one of the largest simulation and education facilities in the region. We have a vast array of simulation learning modalities to develop innovative learning opportunities, and our expansive facilities allow us to reach learners across our institution and in our community.
Our Center has more than 35 high-fidelity patient simulators, including adult, child and toddler, newborn and preemie. The diverse range allows for tremendous flexibility in designing curricula.
The simulators create real-time responses to critical injury or medical interventions. They feature realistic airway, pulmonary, cardiovascular, metabolic, and neurological systems. Additionally, simulators can be programmed to display a wide range of physiologic conditions and symptoms to create dynamic training for healthcare professionals.
Our low-fidelity simulators include intubation heads, CPR manikins, lumbar puncture, IV insertion, TraumaChild, and specialized trainers such as a tonsillar hemorrhage.
The Center for Simulation and Research has multiple labs across three campuses.
Our largest space is a 13,000-square-foot facility occupying what was formerly the labor and delivery suite of the Bethesda Oak Hospital, now part of the Cincinnati Children’s Oak Campus. The Oak Sim Lab includes:
- A large classroom, which can accommodate 30 to 50 personnel, with a projector and conferencing system;
- Two debriefing rooms with large displays;
- Six patient simulation rooms;
- Two task training rooms focused on airway and vascular stations;
- Three large rooms, formerly operating theaters, now used for ICU and trauma simulations;
- Simulation Technician maintenance room for repairs and updates;
- Multiple storage rooms for medical equipment, moulage, and simulator supplies;
- A large, comprehensive medical supply room with automated JITrBUD system, which interfaces with the hospital’s main storeroom.
Our Old Research Building (ORB) Sim Lab, built on Cincinnati Children’s main campus, is a 500 sq. ft. space which includes:
- An emergency patient room;
- An inpatient floor room;
- Control room with one-way mirrors to each patient room
- One debriefing room;
- One supply room.
Our new Cincinnati Children’s Liberty Campus Simulation & Skills Lab will include 600 sq. ft. for Liberty staff orientation, task training, and team training.
Our new Digital Experience (DX) space, located within the Oak Campus Sim Lab, includes:
- A sound-insulated recording room;
- Two flexible DX demo rooms;
- A conference room with a large display;
- Offices and space for DX development.
Learn more about the Digital Experience (DX) team here.