The Heart Institute is the home of the Midwest’s first comprehensive Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU). We provide state-of-the-art care for complex medical and surgical patients, from newborns to adults. Our CICU has three dual-boarded (pediatric cardiology and critical care medicine) and five advanced fellowship trained Cardiac ICU physicians to ensure the best possible outcome for your child.
The CICU team offers a wide range of expert care:
- Neonatal diagnosis and stabilization
- Postoperative surgical care
- Care following complex catheter interventions and hybrid procedures
- Management of complex arrhythmias
- Care of pre- and post-operative cardiac transplant patients
- Management of pulmonary hypertension, heart failure and cardiomyopathy
- Care of patients with heart disease who require intensive care for non-cardiac diseases or surgeries
- Care of patients requiring mechanical heart assist, such as extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) or ventricular assist devices (Berlin Heart, HeartMate II, SynCardia TAH and others)
Our 25-bed CICU is a national leader in safety (procedure time-out) and improvement initiatives (situation awareness and OR to ICU handoff). We have one of the lowest rates of bloodstream infections and catheter-associated urinary tract infections in the nation.
Admission and Referrals
The majority of our patients are admitted through transfer, from referring physicians or following cardiac surgery. We occasionally receive patients directly from a home setting after a physician’s referral.
Physicians interested in making a referral to the CICU should contact an attending physician through our referral page, or by calling Physician Priority Link (PPL) at 513-636-7997 or the CICU at 513-636-4007.