The Best Care for the Most Serious Heart Conditions
The Heart Institute is the home of the Midwest’s first comprehensive Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU). We provide state-of-the-art care for complex medical and surgical patients, from newborns to adults. Our CICU has three dual-boarded (pediatric cardiology and critical care medicine) and five advanced fellowship trained Cardiac ICU physicians to ensure the best possible outcome for your child.
The CICU team offers a wide range of expert care:
- Neonatal diagnosis and stabilization
- Postoperative surgical care
- Care following complex catheter interventions and hybrid procedures
- Management of complex arrhythmias
- Care of pre- and post-operative cardiac transplant patients
- Management of pulmonary hypertension, heart failure and cardiomyopathy
- Care of patients with heart disease who require intensive care for non-cardiac diseases or surgeries
- Care of patients requiring mechanical heart assist, such as extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) or ventricular assist devices (Berlin Heart, HeartMate II, SynCardia TAH and others)
Our 25-bed CICU is a national leader in safety (procedure time-out) and improvement initiatives (situation awareness and OR to ICU handoff). We have one of the lowest rates of bloodstream infections and catheter-associated urinary tract infections in the nation.