The Comprehensive Children’s Injury Center (CCIC) provides the following fireworks safety tips to help parents become better informed on injury prevention tips.

  • All fireworks are potentially dangerous and can cause injury.
  • Children aged 5 to 9 years have the highest injury rate.
  • Sparklers can burn at temperatures over 1000 degrees F and can easily set clothing on fire and cause serious burns.
  • It is strongly recommended that fireworks only be used by professionals.
  • If you choose to use fireworks, please follow these tips:
    • Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
    • Read and follow all warnings and instructions before use.
    • Light fireworks outdoors in a clear area away from houses, dry leaves or grass, and flammable materials.
    • Keep a bucket of water nearby for emergencies and for pouring on fireworks that do not go off.
    • Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Soak them with water and throw them away.
    • Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
    • Never ignite fireworks in a container, especially in a glass or metal container
    • Keep unused fireworks away from firing areas.
    • Store fireworks in a dry, cool place.
    • Never have any part of your body directly over a firework while lighting.
    • Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.

IMPORTANT TIP: Make sure you know what your local laws are. Many states do not allow the use of fireworks.