At the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center, we create treatment plans that are effective, evidenced-based (based on successful research), compassionate and safe. Our team of specialists is committed to helping your child or teen achieve the best possible outcomes and quality of life. We are focused on the discovery and integration of new knowledge into the care of children and adolescents with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Here are some reasons why our patients choose us for their care:
- We support our adolescent and young adult patients with IBD in developing self-management skills that will promote a seamless transition of care into adulthood.
- Partnering with patients and families is paramount in order to identify opportunities for improvement of our processes, care standards and overall outcomes.
- Approximately 82 percent of our patients are in remission after three months of treatment.
- Only 5 percent of our patients are on prednisone after three months of treatment, an indication of our ability to utilize steroid-sparing medications effectively.
- Before considering surgery, we will confirm that all reasonable medical therapies have been tried. If surgery is necessary, we will collaborate with our experienced surgical team to achieve the best outcome possible.
- Cincinnati Children’s helped establish ImproveCareNow in 2007, a quality improvement and learning network. Our physicians continue to provide leadership within the network, which now includes more than 50 member institutions in the United States and Europe.
- Our IBD experts take a multidisciplinary approach, which includes the team members below.
- We see more than 80 patients a year for second opinions.
If you are considering a second opinion, please discuss this with your primary gastroenterologist and ask for a referral. We can assist with confirming your child’s diagnosis and discuss treatment options. Our multidisciplinary team will work with you to meet your child’s needs.
For more information about our second opinion process, please contact:
Kelly Boyer – IBD Intake Coordinator
Our Interdisciplinary Approach
One of our strengths is our diversity: our team members come together from multiple disciplines to address pediatric IBD issues. We are also privileged to partner with surgeons at Cincinnati Children’s who specialize in the correction of pediatric colorectal disorders. And since the best care is provided when primary care physicians and families partner with our specialists to make medical decisions, we work closely with referring physicians to plan comprehensive strategies for care.
Pediatric evidence-based care guidelines have been developed at Cincinnati Children's by a team of gastroenterologists, clinical effectiveness physicians, and evidence-based experts working together with patients and families. These guidelines are used by our care team and also help pediatricians provide the best possible care to inflammatory bowel disease patients. Our goal in developing them was to set a standard of care that is evidence-based, efficient, family-centered and safe.