Services & Specialties
Colorectal Center

The Colorectal Center is one of the world’s most comprehensive pediatric colorectal centers and the longest running of its kind in the United States. Our surgeons, nurse practitioners and nurses are leaders in treating complex colorectal disorders. They offer personalized, innovative care to help children and young adults achieve the best quality of life possible now and in the future.

An International Leader in Treating Complex Colorectal Conditions

Led by a team of renowned surgeons, the center is an international leader in pediatric colorectal care, research and education. Over the years, we’ve treated thousands of children from 88 countries and all 50 states—in fact, more than 60% of our patients travel to our center from outside our immediate geographic area.

The Colorectal Center’s founder, Alberto Peña, MD, revolutionized the treatment of pediatric colorectal patients more than 40 years ago when he introduced a surgical procedure called the posterior sagittal anorectoplasty (PSARP), or pull-through procedure. Innovation is still a hallmark of our center, where we use the latest technology and techniques to help patients with complex colorectal conditions. Examples include sacral nerve stimulation and our popular one-week Bowel Management Program, which helps about 250 children a year achieve better bowel control.

Why Choose Us

At the Colorectal Center, children receive comprehensive care from specialists who truly understand the challenges they face and are dedicated to helping them.

  • Extensive experience: Our team evaluates 2,000-plus patients a year and has performed more than 800 colorectal procedures every year, including posterior sagittal anorectoplasty (PSARP), pull-through procedure for Hirschsprung Disease, ileo-anal anastomosis (or j-pouch surgery), and more.
  • Minimally invasive surgeries: Whenever possible, our surgeons use minimally invasive (instead of open) techniques. These techniques provide greater surgical accuracy, minimize damage to surrounding anatomical structures, reduce post-surgical pain and improve outcomes.
  • Proven success: More than 80% of children who participate in our Bowel Management Program achieve bowel control. The most common reason that the other 20% do not achieve bowel control is that they have a complex medical condition that creates special challenges, such as paralysis. Even in these situations, patients experience quality of life improvements.
  • Dedicated, caring nurses: Our nurses have a high level of expertise in pediatric colorectal medicine. Your child’s nurse will be available in the clinic, by phone, on MyChart and by email to answer your questions and provide support every step of the way.
  • Breakthrough research: Through clinical studies and lab-based research, our team is developing new testing and treatment strategies to improve patients’ lives.

A Supportive Environment

All the services and support your family needs are available under one roof. Our experienced surgeons and nurses work closely with pediatric specialists in gastroenterology, gynecology, urology, nutrition, behavioral medicine and pelvic floor physical therapy. The team makes care decisions together, providing families with one cohesive treatment plan. We schedule clinic appointments and tests in a coordinated way so that visits are as convenient and efficient as possible for families.

Over time we develop close relationships with patients, many of whom return to our center for long-term, follow-up care. We encourage families to share their ideas, concerns and questions to help us better understand their child’s needs.

We are dedicated to:

  • Understanding your family’s goals for treatment
  • Including you in decisions about your child’s care
  • Building a strong relationship with your family that is based on trust
  • Answering your questions and providing reassurance
  • Listening to your concerns, even if an immediate solution isn’t available

Second Opinions

Our nationally recognized colorectal specialists provide second opinions for many colorectal conditions. They will review your case and answer specific questions about a diagnosis or treatment options. Our case manager will collect your medical records and help guide you through the process. Learn more about obtaining a second opinion.