1. Pour normal saline solution into a basin.
2. Using a 60ml catheter tip syringe, draw up 20ml of normal saline solution.
3. Gently insert appropriate size lubricated silicone catheter into the rectum, approximately 6 inches.
4. Allow any stool or gas to run out into the basin. Advance the catheter to allow any other “pockets” of stool/gas to empty.
5. Place the catheter tip syringe into the end of the silicone catheter and inject 20ml of normal saline solution into the rectum. Hold catheter in place at the level of the anus so it does not fall out.
6. Disconnect syringe from the end of the catheter; allow the normal saline solution to drip into an empty emesis basin which will be used for your discarded solution.
7. Repeat this process until the fluid draining from the catheter is clear. With each irrigation, advance the catheter a few inches further and repeat the irrigations until the returning fluid is clear. Do not force or advance the catheter further than the y-divider ports of the catheter. If gently pushed the catheter should follow the curve of the colon.