What Causes Urticaria?
Hives can be an allergic reaction to:
- Insect stings
Hives may be triggered by:
- Cold or heat
- Infections (usually viral)
- Other illnesses
- Sun exposure
- Physical exercise
What Is Chronic Urticaria?
Hives that last for more than six weeks and may recur frequently over several months or years. There is no known cause for most cases of chronic urticaria.
Some of the known causes include:
- Antibodies that react with the tissue in the body
- Certain kinds of infection
Your doctor may order blood tests to help determine the cause of the hives.
How Is Urticaria Treated?
- Severe cases may require treatment with steroids.
- A small number of patients with chronic urticaria may require other medicines to control their hives.