Can I wear a mask that I bring from home?
Family members and patients who are wearing cloth masks or masks of other material such as N95 respirators brought from home will be encouraged at the screening stations to wear a mask from the hospital, but will not be required to do so if they prefer to wear their own mask.
When can I take off the mask?
If your child is inpatient, you can take off your mask ONLY when you are in your child’s room alone, with the door closed. When a staff person enters the room, put your mask back on, right away.
You do not need to sleep in your mask. The care team will not wake you up to put it on.
If you are here for Emergency, Urgent Care, Same Day Surgery or an outpatient visit, you should wear your mask at all times. When you leave, put your mask in one of the “masks only” trash cans by the exits.
What do I do with my mask when I take it off?
- Wash your hands before taking off your mask.
- Take the mask off using the ear loops; do not touch the part of the mask that you breathe through.
- Fold the mask in half and put it in the paper bag provided when you got your mask.
- Wash your hands again when you’re finished.
- Do not wear your mask around your neck.
Pro tip: Write your name on the bag so you don’t accidentally use someone else’s mask.
What should I do when I need to eat or drink?
- You can take your mask off when you’re eating.
- Follow the steps above to take off and store your mask.
- Do not set the mask down unless it is in the paper bag.
- If you are able, eat in your child’s room. If you have to eat in a common area, you must be able to sit at least 6 feet away from anyone else in the area.
How long should I wear the same mask?
You will get a new mask every day during your daily screening. Do not use the same mask for more than one day. If your mask is more than a day old, go downstairs to be screened for the day or alert your child’s care team if they are doing daily screenings on the unit.
What if my mask gets dirty or damaged?
If your mask gets wet, damaged or otherwise dirty, throw it away in any trash can. Let a member of the care team know that you needed to throw it away and they will get another one for you. Make sure you wash your hands after handling soiled masks.
What happens if I don’t wear my mask?
You will get one reminder to wear your mask outside your child’s room. If after the reminder, you still don’t wear your mask, you will be required to leave the hospital. There are no exceptions. The safety of our patients, other families and staff is too important at this time.