Who can participate?
Young adults (18 to 21 years old) and a parent can participate.
What will happen in the study?
If you decide to join this study, the following things will happen either online or in person at a study visit.
You as the participant will:
- Watch videos and make choices about what, if any, genetic information you want to learn. You will talk with a study team member and parent (if applicable) to make final choices about what, if any, information you want to learn.
- Complete surveys about the decisions you make.
- Possibly be invited to an interview with study staff to further discuss the decisions you make.
- Provide a blood or saliva sample and want to receive genetic testing results.
- Receive genetic test results (if applicable).
- Possibly be invited to complete additional surveys and/or interviews based on the results you receive.
You will be given a consent form that thoroughly explains all of the details of the study. A member of the study staff will review the consent form with you and will be sure that all of your questions are answered.
What are the good things that can happen from this research?
A genetic result that reveals risk for a disease can be important for your health and may be important for your family’s health. About 3 out of 100 participants in the study will learn about a disease risk for themselves.