Not all disorders of sex development require surgical treatment. However, when surgery is an appropriate treatment option, our expert gynecologists and urologists can provide surgical treatment with optimal functional and cosmetic outcomes.
A few examples of conditions where surgery may be indicated are congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) and disorders of vaginal development.
We have the expertise to perform simple and complex surgical procedures, including:
A procedure to visualize the internal structure of the urinary bladder and lower urinary tract by means of a cystoscope (thin, flexible tube with a light and video camera attached).
A procedure to visualize the vaginal canal by means of an endoscope (thin, flexible tube with a light and video camera attached) to assess length, diameter and patency.
Feminizing Genitoplasty / Genital Reconstruction
Surgery to normalize the appearance and function of the female external genitalia. Feminizing genitoplasty may incorporate one or all of the following procedures:
- Clitoroplasty (clitoral reduction) to reduce the size of the clitoris, the structure that provides female sensation during intercourse
- Vaginoplasty to achieve satisfactory cosmetic appearance and a vagina with enough depth to allow for intercourse. (This procedure depends on each patient’s anatomy.)
- Labiaplasty to achieve satisfactory cosmetic appearance of the labia
- Creation of a vagina using bowel or skin
- Introitoplasty to sufficiently open the vaginal outlet to allow pain-free sexual intercourse
Masculinizing Genitoplasty / Genital Reconstruction
Surgery to improve the appearance and function of the male external genitalia. Masculinizing genitoplasty may include:
- Repair of penile chordee (curvature of the penis)
- Hypospadias repair, a surgical repair of the penis, to bring the urethral opening to the tip of the penis. This allows a controlled stream of urine while standing, improves the appearance of the penis and diverts fertility issues later in life. This repair may be completed in multiple stages.