Specialized therapy services are a required component of recovery after surgical procedures like single-event, multilevel surgery (SEMLS) or a selective dorsal rhizotomy surgery (SDR). After surgery:
- Your child will participate in physical therapy 1-5 times per week.
- The program is divided into varying stages of intensity for one year and beyond.
- Occupational therapy (OT) services may be included in the rehabilitation process, depending upon the needs of your child.
- Your family will be educated in ongoing home programming to provide carryover of new skills.
Why Choose Us?
At Cincinnati Children’s, we provide:
- A team oriented approach with you and your physician
- Therapy programs specific to your child’s needs
- Established phases of treatment during the rehabilitation process
- A comprehensive, ongoing home exercise program
- Access to state-of-the-art equipment including: Lokomat©, Vector©, Armeo©, Universal Exercise Unit, LiteGait©, Biodex, Aquatics, Motion Analysis Lab, and an on-site Durable Medical Equipment department
- Recommendations for community-based, wellness opportunities
Who Can Benefit?
Children who have undergone a recent SEMLS or SDR surgery at Cincinnati Children's, or another medical facility, can benefit from this program.
Location of Service
These outpatient programs are offered at all of our Neighborhood locations with the exception of some specialized services that are only available at certain locations due to equipment availability. Your child may need to be seen at more than one location due to the intensive nature of the program.