A splint is used to support, immobilize, or protect the arm or hand. Splints can also be used to support function, assist and / or increase range of motion. Occupational therapists (OTs) can make custom splints for the specific needs of each child or may use pre-fabricated splints.
Why Choose Us?
At Cincinnati Children's, our therapists:
- Are trained in child development
- Have specialized training in making splints
- Deliver care in a child friendly environment
- Work directly with the doctors in the Hand and Upper extremity center at Cincinnati Children's.
Who Can Benefit?
Children who have experienced one the following may benefit from this service:
- Previous hand or arm surgery
- Loss of joint motion
- Birth defects
- Increased or decreased muscle tone
- Orthopedic conditions
- Chronic conditions such as juvenile arthritis or connective tissue disorders
Location of Service
Splinting services are available via inpatient, outpatient, orthopedic and plastic surgery clinics at the following neighborhood locations: Main (Burnet), Liberty, Green Township, Drake, Fairfield, Anderson, Eastgate, Kentucky, and Mason.