For more than 75 years, Child Life at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center has been a vital part of the multidisciplinary pediatric team. Child Life specialists provide developmental, social and emotional support to infants, children, teenagers and their families. Our goal is to help families understand their child’s reactions to hospitalization and help patients cope. Child Life specialists are certified members of the healthcare team, with advanced degrees in child life, education, child development or related fields.
Child Life uses a family-centered approach to:
- Provide therapeutic play and developmentally appropriate activities for patients from preemies through young adults and their siblings
- Educate and prepare patients and families for medical experiences and procedures
- Serve as a resource for families regarding child development and healthcare issues
- Support patients, siblings and families during crisis or stressful events
Child Life Services
- Activity centers
- Activities for patients in their rooms
- Family movie nights
- Holiday celebrations
- Patient and family support for trauma, new diagnosis and end-of-life / bereavement issues
Ask your nurse to help you contact your Child Life specialist.